18 February, 2020
Vintage Mandala Throw – Chapter 2
Well, I told you I would be back with the continuing saga of this throw. The next section turned this eight-sided throw into a square. Even though it didn’t say to, you are supposed to add a basket-weave triangle onto every other side. The directions only indicated that you repeat this section four times. I guess they assume that if you’re attempting an afghan of this caliber, you know a little bit about what you’re doing. But then they never anticipated I would be trying to make it. Anyway, once these are done, it turns the eight-sided mandala into a square.
This basket-stitch looks like you have woven the stitches back and forth. But it’s quite easy to make, and quickly you can see the illusion of a weave come together. To make this, you will make a row of alternating two front post treble crochet, and two back post treble crochet. The next row is alternating two back post double crochet and two front post double crochet. To make it alternate front to back crochet opposite each row, I found that to keep track; I would make sure that when I was working on the double crochet row, that it was opposite the treble crochet row. Meaning that if, for example, when the row below was a front post stitch, then the row above was worked in the back post. Then when working the treble row, make sure that it’s the same as the double crochet below. If the double crochet is worked in the back, then do the same with the treble.
Puff Shell Section
The next section, now that the throw has magically turned into a square, I had to make some changes. Nowhere did I find that it said to turn when I got to the end of a row. Most of the rows, it said “Do not turn” But I have learned from experience that when you do a puff stitch, it is worked from the back. The stitch naturally puffs out and looks more beautiful from the backside when you’re working it. In the past, I didn’t know this and tried to push them to the other side, but of course, they pop back to the other side. Well, after a couple of rows of working it like they said in the directions, I didn’t like it and ripped it back out. It was just too flat, and this is supposed to be a “puff” stitch, as you can see from the photos of what is now the back and what I have made into the front. At least I hope you can see it; it was challenging to photograph.
This project has been a delightful challenge. There is only one more section to do before it’s done. If you have any questions about how I worked through it or any other questions regarding crochet, please feel free to ask in the form below, and I’ll get back to you as soon as I can.
Thanks for following along.